A 3-day, 2-night overnight field camp at Clare Tappen Lodge at Donner Summit will guide students sixth grade and older through the process of science in the natural world as they investigate a research topic in the field of ecology.
Foundations of the program:
1. Scientific Research
Students work with a cohort of peers and with professional scientist mentors to create questions around the ecology topics of forest or meadow or stream habitats and develop these questions into a research project.
The students will be mentored by scientists for guidance through their project. These career-scientists can help with recommendations for how to turn an idea into an executable project.
3. Professional caliber scientific exploration
Participants are given the chance to practice science just like a professional would, analyzing data and finally creating a research talk.
4. Experience the wonders of the natural world
Students will explore the forests around the Truckee Donner Land Trust.
2022 Program Details
Participants will stay at Claire Tappaan Lodge in Donner Summit.
When: Aug. 23-25; drop-off at 9 a.m. Aug. 23, pick-up at 3 p.m. Aug. 25.
Ages: For students entering 6th grade and older.
Cost: Processing fee $55 (funded by Tahoe Mountain Resort Grant)
Please contact Meg Seifert: email@example.com with any questions.
Staffing and Emergency Policies:
Headwaters Science Institute is committed to maintaining the highest safety and security standards for our programs. When your children are in our care, you can trust that they are safe.
- All employees and contractors are background checked before they start working with us. We use a national-level background check program called National Crime Search (nationalcrimesearch.com) that searches all states and county records for any criminal records, sex & violent offenders, and includes a terrorist search.
- Our staff members are all first-aid and CPR certified. Some are Wilderness First Responder certified as well.
- We have a safety plan for every field site we use and know where the nearest fire station is located. We are never more than a few minutes walk to the nearest road.
- In the unlikely event of an emergency, we always work in areas that are easily served by 911. Our field site on Donner Summit is less than 2 miles from the nearest fire station with full-time EMT services and the hospital is a short 10-minute ride away.