Headwaters Digital Data Science Camp
Why is Data Science Important?
Data science is a rapidly growing field that is transforming many industries and shaping the future of our world. With the increasing availability of data and the increasing demand for data-driven insights and decision-making, data science has become a critical skill for professionals in many fields.
The field of data science offers a wealth of exciting and impactful career opportunities, from developing predictive models and analyzing large data sets to designing innovative solutions and making data-driven decisions. By participating in the Headwaters Digital Data Science camp, high school, and college students can gain a deeper understanding of this dynamic field and develop the skills they need to succeed in data-related careers.
“Employment of data scientists is projected to grow 36 percent from 2021 to 2031, much faster than the average for all occupations.
About 13,500 openings for data scientists are projected each year, on average, over the decade.” – U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
What will you learn in this camp?
- Understand the basics of Python Programming Language.
- An introduction to Descriptive Statistics
- Learn how to conduct univariate and multivariate exploratory data analyses.
- Learn how to use Wallace to create Ecological Niche Models and extract coordinate data for any species.
- Understand and interpret data.
- Complete a data analytics project bringing together all topics learned.
How long is the Digital Data Science Camp and when is it?
This Digital Data Science Camp is a 2-week-long program designed to be taken remotely from any location. Each week students will meet with the instructor four times, Monday-Thursday, for two hours at a set time to cover that day’s specific topic. All work can be completed within the session.
These sessions are currently being offered in May, June, and August at various times to fit your student’s schedule. Specific dates can be found on the ACTIVE registration page.
While this program is primarily targeted toward High School and College Students, ambitious 7th and 8th graders are welcome to enroll!
Click on the modules below to find out more about the program content covered each day and register!
- Monday: General introduction to the program and lecture covering the topics of data science and AI.
- Tuesday: Introduction to Python and using Google Colab
- Wednesday: Univariate and multivariate exploratory data analysis
- Thursday: Introduction to using Wallace and other applications. Explore mini-project topics.
- Monday: Use techniques learned in the previous week to generate datasets for this week’s mini-project.
- Tuesday: Group Collaboration in breakout rooms with instructor guidance.
- Wednesday: Group Collaboration in breakout rooms with instructor guidance and short presentation preparation (4 slides maximum of key insights)
- Thursday: Short discussion/presentations
Meet The Instructor
Daniel Dudek, the program manager and data analyst here at Headwaters Science Institute, has a wealth of experience in Python, R, and command-line programming. He completed his B.S. Biology at the Pennsylvania State University, his M.S. Biology at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania, has done post-graduate research at the University of Texas at Arlington, and holds a post-graduate certificate in Data Science and Business Analytics from the University of Texas at Austin.
His prior research focused on exploring the evolutionary patterns of various amphibians and reptiles throughout Central America. He has conducted fieldwork in Honduras, Texas, and Pennsylvania, along with laboratory techniques in traditional DNA sequencing and Next Generation Sequencing.
Dan also has accumulated a significant amount of education experience, teaching as an adjunct biology faculty member at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania and Tarrant County College, as well as teaching the Headwaters Research Experience program we offer. His mixture of academic research and educational background ensures you will have a meaningful two weeks of learning!
At $400 for each 2-week session, this camp will supply invaluable experience in this new burgeoning field of data science. You can also apply what you learn here in our Headwaters Research Experience to design your own novel research project.
Contact: dan(at)headwatersscienceinstitute.org for more information, or schedule a meeting to learn more!